the_vulture: (Default)
[personal profile] the_vulture
Cross-posted from [info]asexuality .


How Sci-Fi Makes Us More Open to Strange Forms of Sex and Sexuality


And Asexuality gets a mention! (Though, granted, they describe it as an axis point for libido...):

"Each of these variables is not an either/or situation, but sits on a spectrum. So, if asked to self-identify, the question is not “are you asexual or hypersexual” but, “on a scale of one to ten, one being no sex drive, ten being perpetual, overwhelming sex drive, how would you rate your libido?” And a number in one variable might have no bearing on another. A binary is just not enough – there is a reason the rainbow is representative of the queer community."

The visibility is getting out there, folks!  :D

Edit: [info]alias_chick , in the comments below, posted a really interesting link to a TED presentation discussing the problems of relying upon nature as a means to differentiate between people. Those interested in gender studies may wish to give it a view.

Date: 2011-06-18 08:16 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] alias_chick.livejournal.com
That's really interesting. I know my clinical psych class briefly examined sexual orientation (and how it and
[Error: Irreparable invalid markup ('<sexuality/a>') in entry. Owner must fix manually. Raw contents below.]

That's really interesting. I know my clinical psych class briefly examined sexual orientation (and how it and <a href="http://www.ted.com/talks/alice_dreger_is_anatomy_destiny.html"><sexuality/a>)are both spectrums and far less the black and white categories that we divide them into. And something that people are unaware of. I think things like asexuality are under-represented, so that is really great to see!! :)

Date: 2011-06-18 08:47 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] the-vulture.livejournal.com
Thank you very much for that link! That talk posed some really interesting questions. I'll post your link in my entry, as LJ comments no longer seem to be able to support html tags for links.

Date: 2011-06-18 08:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] alias_chick.livejournal.com
No worries, it was a talk that articulates things quite well, and though I had no idea about the history, I thought it illustrated the things quite well (as to how complex things are).

Date: 2011-06-18 08:58 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] the-vulture.livejournal.com
I think you've providing some very interesting conversation for a number folks who have an interest in gender and orientation studies.

Date: 2011-06-18 09:07 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] alias_chick.livejournal.com
It's very interesting, but also very complex- it is a mixture of not only anatomy, but sexual orientation and I suppose from my background a mixture of genes (genotype) and environment- but personally I feel that those are somewhat irrelevant, but what is important is what a person identifies as and why. But yes, the whole field is quite complex and I think important currently where the debate focuses on love to be called marraige rather than a relationship where reproduction is possible to be called marriage.

Profile

the_vulture: (Default)
the_vulture

July 2014

S M T W T F S
  1234 5
6789101112
131415161718 19
20212223242526
2728293031  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 16th, 2026 01:12 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios